Visa Extension – Relevant Documents and Procedure
If you hold a “L” VISA and want to continue to stay in China after expiration of the visa, you should apply for a visa extension within 2-7 days before your visa expires. This is the information you need to know:
1. Valid passport with a minimum of 6 months to expiry, and a current Chinese visa.
2. One recently taken two-inch, white background, bareheaded, full-faced colour photo (33mm x 48mm standard passport photo). As of February 2019, this must now be from the government approved photo studio in Xiaguan (大理青云数码影像有限公司，大理市建设西路51号， ph: 0872-2120930). Cost is about 35 RMB for 6 photos.
3. Receipt of stay from your accommodation provider.
4. Very Important: Electronic registration with the PSB (Public Security Bureau). If you stay at a hotel or guesthouse that usually accommodates foreigners, this should happen automatically. Make sure you ask them to double check that your details have already been sent. If you are living with a local family you will need to ask the owner to accompany you to the local police station for the “police registration certificate” instead.
4. Police registration certificate. Go to the Dali Old Town police station near the crossroad of Yi Ta Lu, and Hong Wu Lu (marked on website map as “Police Registration Office”), along with your passport. Below is a picture of the building.
5. Travel Plan. They may or may not ask you for this. You can write it in advance or write it on the spot.
6. Completed visa application form (this can be obtained from the PSB and filled out on the spot).
1. Fill out Visa Extension Application form.
2. Submit passport with visa and registration documents.
3. Pay visa and certification fees according to the prescribed rates (these vary by country)
Processing Time and Fee
|A maximum of 30 days visa extension||Around 3-7 days, but can vary especially around the holidays||About 160RMB (higher for American passport holders)|
You should apply for a visa extension at the Exit and Entry Administration of the Public Security Bureau (PSB) of Dali Bai Autonomous Prefecture.
The address is: Dali Road, near the Century Middle School, Xiaguan (Dali New City). It is the building facing the China Tobacco building as you enter Xiaguan.
How to get there:
Get the no. 8 bus from the YeYu Lu bus terminal. It takes around 30 minutes. Ask someone at your accommodation to write down the address and show it to the bus driver. Below is a picture of the building. It is also marked on the insightdali.com map under “PSB”.
Once you have applied, you will be given a receipt that acts as a visa until you can pick up your passport with the new visa. You can use the receipt when travelling and booking accommodation.
A tourist visa extension costs 160rmb for most nationalities, but is 940rmb for US citizens.
If your current visa is not an “L” VISA, please call the PSB for more information: (0872)2142149
Please Note: These instructions for extending an “L” visa are accurate at the time of writing (February 2nd, 2019), but visa rules and regulations can and do change with no notice. Please send us a comment if you have any more updated information and we will include it in the post…